A Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM) is a collection of tools and processes mostly used by enterprises. It is used to manage customers’ identities and their access to specific systems and services.
A CIAM usually provides a number of functions. All of them help ensure the security and integrity of customer accounts and identities, and control access to the services and resources offered by enterprises. These functions usually include the following.
- User account creation and management: A CIAM allows users to create and manage accounts to access the services offered by the enterprises.
- Authentication: the application provides various methods to verify the identity of users before granting them access to services. For example, username and password combinations, biometric authentication, or single sign-on solutions may be included.
- Authorization: After successful authentication, a CIAM checks whether a user is authorized to access specific resources or services.
- Permissions management: The application allows permissions to be set and managed for specific users or groups of users.
- Security features: It is important that the application provides various security features through which integrity and security of user accounts will be ensured. For example, features to prevent misuse or monitor access activities.
- Self-service functions: A CIAM usually also offers self-service features. These allow users to manage their own accounts and make changes – for example, reset passwords or delete accounts.
In summary, the application serves to ensure the security and integrity of customer and user accounts and to control access to the services and resources offered by the companies.
Often, a CIAM is used by companies that provide online services to ensure that only authorized individuals can access the services.
Some of the CIAM systems we are aware of are as follows, although there are many more vendors on the market.
- Okta is a leading provider of CIAM solutions and offers a wide range of capabilities, including authentication, authorization, user account and privilege management, and security features.
- Auth0 is another well-known CIAM solution provider and offers similar features to Okta, including authentication, authorization, user account and entitlement management, and security features.
- Azure AD is a CIAM service from Microsoft that also provides authentication, authorization, user account and entitlement management, and security features.
- OneLogin is another CIAM solution provider that offers similar features to those mentioned above.
When choosing a CIAM, it is important that the requirements are neatly formulated and that the application integrates well with the existing IT system.
In the context of Data Integration projects, it is often also useful to use a “Customer Identity and Access Management”. Our Professional Services Team supports you in the planning and also in the implementation.